Thursday, 5 October 2017

Standard 3: Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning

 Focus area & descriptor demonstrated:
  • 3.4 Select and use resources: Demonstrate knowledge of a range of resources, including ICT, that engage students in their learning

    Critical reflection:
    In my unit of work on fractions, I got my students to use manipulatives to explore length, area and set models. For example, my pair of students could be seen engaged in the activity about fraction walls. I believe that getting students to use multiple resources is engaging for them but also improves students’ relational understanding of the concept due to the multiple representations. I also got students to watch short animation clips on Mathsplayground. In my feedback I could see that the CRT had positive feedback for me regarding my line of questioning (Figure 1). As the video was packed with lots of information I thought it would be best to pause for questions, leading to student engagement and great discussion. Whenever my students finish learning about a concept, I would create an anchor chart (Figure 2) to review what they have learned such as halves and quarters. I believe that making the anchor charts with the students have been engaging because the ideas about the concept came from them and it is information that has already been covered. Afterwards I would hang these anchor charts around the room to help students remember what they have learned.

    Figure 1. My CRT's feedback on my lesson using video which relates to using a range of resources such as ICT. She had noted that I had asked good guiding and comprehension questions relating to the video and created good discussion among the students.











    Figure 3. Creating anchor charts with students about the things they had learned about fractions. This was a resource I had often used to get students to review and engage their learning







    No comments:

    Post a Comment